Here is my list of gift suggestions for 2012.
1. Book store gift certificates or books (suggestions here)
2. Handmade and local things
3, A card with a note saying that a donation has been made in one's honor or in memory of a loved one lost during the year, for instance to Stop Hunger Now
4. Calling cards, return address labels, or just about anything from Felix Doolittle
5. Materials to make personalized cards. One of my favorite places to shop for those is Paper Source or French Paper
6. A subscription to Lumosity to keep your brain from freezing
7. A load of firewood (this is what my sister-in-law gives us and we love it).
Feel free to add your suggestions (or requests!) in the comment section.