Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I'm Alive!


Yep, I'm alive - I didn't die last night. But I was worried.

All this talk of synchronicity has left me a little nervous. That plus those eyes that are watching me. So yesterday, here are the daily inspirational quotes I got via email:

1. Do every act of your life as if it were your last. - Marcus Aurelius
2. Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Immediately following the back-to-back reading of these quotes, George Winston's version of Pachelbel's Canon in D Major came on my Pandora radio station. This is the song that I have told my family (and my girlfriends in case the family's all frothed up) that I want played at my funeral. I love the way the song begins quietly, crescendos in the middle, and ends quietly, just like a life.

I was nervous.

I worried about every twinge of indigestion, but ate whatever the heck I wanted to. I laughed as hard as I could. I listened carefully to those who spoke to me. I got as much of my work done as I could. I remembered my mom who died when she was younger than me and figured out how many more days I had had than she had.

In the end, though, I don't think I really believed it was my last day. I know, without a doubt, that if I KNEW I would die today, I would gather my family around me, smoke a cigarette, and drink some Bombay Sapphire martinis straight up with three olives. And I didn't do that yesterday.

No comments: