Saturday, January 2, 2010

So far...


So far, not much progress on my 10-minute solution. And the reason is that I have read two books already this year! I'm telling you the truth - two 400-page books. If that isn't a good reason not to write, exercise, and meditate, I don't know what is.

So of course, you want to know what I've been reading that has me forsaking my promises so early in the year. First, Mary Karr's new book, Lit, the story of her alcoholism and recovery. Karr is first and foremost a poet, and though her story brought to mind Anne Lamott's book, Traveling Mercies, it is written in a more poetic writing style, with less humor. I strongly identified with Karr's drinking habits, struggle to stay sober, and her search for a meaningful Higher Power.

The second book I read is a young adult novel entitled, The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. This book reminded me of a story I read years ago, "The Running Man" by Stephen King. The similarity is that it is a story set in the future where humans are pitted against one another to the death for the entertainment of society.

I have the sequel to The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and the first book did end with a teaser....I guess the resolutions can wait one more day.

No comments: