Saturday, January 30, 2010

Welcome to my new world



My church is participating in the movement A Complaint Free World, and will be hosting author Will Bowen as part of the event.

I'm all for this, because I hate a bunch of complaining. But wait, that's complaining.

I figure I'm not going to be very good at being a complaint free person, so I have decided to start my own movement. I'm calling it "A Control Free World".

So when someone I know is making a decision that I think is stupid, I'm not going to say a word. I can't control their actions, can I? And when someone I know needs a good talking to, I'm going to keep my mouth shut. Their internal dialog would probably drown me out anyway, right? When I ask my husband to help out with some little something at home or at work, and he does it the wrong way, I will not correct him. Nor will I go back and do it the right way; it'll just have to be wrong, okay?

Seriously though, I am really trying to keep my nose out of places it doesn't belong. I cannot control all the actions of the people in my life; I don't have to advise them when they haven't asked; and sometimes I'm just going to have to accept that their way isn't my way.

It's tough. And I'm not kidding. As a mother and bossy person, it takes all the will power I can muster to butt out. But I'm going to stay committed to my new movement. And when I'm butting out, there are a lot less people complaining about me, right? So in my own way, I'll be doing my part for a Complaint Free World.

2 comments:

Virginia S. Wood, Psy.D., Instructor said...

Oh, if only I could.

Love that shot, by the way.

Mamie said...

Maybe you could join my movement, Virginia!?!

Glad you like the photo.