Monday, November 2, 2009

Arles

We spent four days in Arles, two of them traveling to outlying areas. Down the street from our hotel, one could view the Rhone River. Every day I looked forward to walking down the narrow roadway, often jumping against the wall to avoid a car, climbing the stone steps, and seeing this:



Arles was the first place that we were able to get a birds-eye view (hard to do from the boat). Here is the cityscape and the Rhone from the top of the coliseum.



The city was a study in contrasts. We saw many, many parents walking with their children during the lunch hour since most businesses close for two hours in the middle of the day. This woman had a few to feed:



On the other hand, I saw children without parents or friends at lunch. This young boy was especially touching as he seemed to be furtively eating alone, weaving between cars. I felt sad as I watched him and recalled the loneliness that we often encounter during adolescence.



This is a portion of the coliseum that was under renovation. Many of the older buildings were being shored up, filled in, and generally spruced up. It was obvious that Frenchmen take pride in their old buildings.



In contrast, there was graffiti everywhere on these beautiful structures. I looked on the Internet and there is gang activity in European countries. It is truly a crime to deface properties that have withstood wars, weather, and general wear and tear.



Of course, we had to visit a cemetery or two. Angels, ceramic flowers, crosses: all a part of the landscape of the graveyard.



In contrast, I certainly did NOT anticipate this:



I'll end with the humorous tonight.

Tomorrow I'll fill you in on some interesting side trips.

2 comments:

trisha said...

You absolutely have to tell us more about the last photo.

kenju said...

I enjoyed your photos, and I certainly didn't expect that last one! I wonder what that's about?