Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Food and Rant

My friend, Mit, is a great cook if I read correctly. She is always posting these wonderful sounding elaborate menus. I am inspired to share a recipe I made up today for a church meeting.

I am all about shortcuts that make cooking a breeze. I made shrimp salad by cutting up scallions, celery, shrimp, and tossing it with Brianna's Chipotle Cheddar dressing. Right before putting it on the croissants, I will toss it again with a little lettuce mix. Yum yum.

And maybe I'm the only person in the world who didn't already realize this, but Soodhalter Stir Stix were just the thing for making fruit kabobs. They are colorful, pointy on the end, and the perfect length for pieces of pineapple, watermelon, and strawberry.

As a green, I steamed asparagus, sprinkled with lemon juice and coarse salt.

All of the ingredients for this meal came from my neighborhood grocery store. Good thing because I'm totally put out with Whole Foods. Last night I went to pick up some strawberries because the ones at the grocery store looked hard and greenish. It was eight o'clock. The door was locked. What the #@(*&? So I went to the next door. Two unarmed employees were guarding it and informed me that the store was closed. Why? I asked. For a "team meeting" they answered. There was a fairly well-attended event at Quail Ridge and people were moving toward WF for dinner, groceries, whatever. And I'm thinking, "You're going to turn down at least a thousand dollars worth of business, and irritate the hell out some people (me) for a team meeting? Wouldn't the employees, whose salaries are supplemented by sales in their respective departments, be irritated too? What on earth possessed them to do this? My husband says they probably don't want to pay overtime, but there certainly seem to be many ways to work around that problem without shutting out customers an hour early in the middle of the week. I am reminded of the time I went in to the store and encountered a surly checkout girl who informed me that she was in a bad mood because there were so many customers and that they were spending so much money. Hellooo? Your paycheck? Where the hell do you think the dough for it comes from?

All that ranting has made me hungry. I'm going to go try the food. If I don't die from eating it, I'm going to serve it to the minister and board tomorrow.

1 comment:

MitMoi said...

Your friend Mit is insane - that's why everything is so elaborate. Your shrimp salad sounds great. You can bring it on July 1st! (I won't be around for the reunion next week)