Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Wheeeee!


I am usually a fairly even-tempered person. Lately though, my emotions have been very unpredictable. Yesterday for instance, I rode a couple of emotional highs, actually grinning inanely at how happy I felt. And then a song came on the CD player, or a letter came from the Food Bank, something fairly innocuous, and I found myself in tears.

I'm fighting fear about the state of the world, constantly assuring myself that things are going to be fine. I'm embracing elation over a couple of back-to-back good short stories. I'm making myself available to friends who are suffering: one with the loss of her brother, another whose husband has cancer. My dreams have been full of nostalgia about my children when they were younger. I'm beginning to make yet another lifestyle change by going to the gym. I'm also angry, so angry every time I pick up the newspaper and read that another careless corporation is being given my money to fix things. Up and down, up and down.

Are any of you experiencing these waves of emotion? If so, how are you handling it?

3 comments:

Elisa said...

I tend to be an emotional rollercoaster, but not with quite so many peaks and valleys in such a short timespan.

One suggestion? Turn off the tv!! As far as I'm concerned, the media is doing a great disservice in the way they're reporting on the economy -- it's very fear-inducing, and very skewed.

I also live by this mantra: "In my world, nothing goes wrong." I can't save the world, but I can choose to live my own best life. And doing so can only be for the highest good of all.

Hang in there!! And your photos are wonderful!

billie said...

We haven't had TV for many years, but when we moved to our farm, I think I was making a not so conscious decision to create a haven for my family, including all my animal family.

There is so much that goes on here on any given day I truly don't have that much time to stress out over the world at large. Which I suppose some folks would call "head in the sand" and others "willful ignorance," but my way of contributing to a better world is by making my own little one peaceful and calm and fulfilling.

I do believe it has some impact.

Mamie said...

Panda and Billie,
Yes, it definitely helps to turn off the TV and go straight to the crossword in the newspaper. And I agree that making your home a haven of peace is very important. Thanks for checking in.