Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Not LOL funny


Someone sent me an email today asking me not to blab something to everyone and added LOL at the end of the, um, request.

Now first let me say that THEY were blabbing in a way, by telling me this thing that didn't need to be told. But this brings up something that has been getting on my nerves lately: the way people add LOL and haha to the end of things that are mean and/or sarcastic. Like that makes it okay. Like it will be less offensive on the receiving end if the sender is laughing as they say it.

I know the way people laugh when they say something crappy, and it isn't funny. In person or in print. It's only funny if we're all laughing.

Now go tell somebody.

2 comments:

kenju said...

Hmmm...I tend to use lol a lot, because it is quick and easy, but I see how it could be misconstrued.

MitMoi said...

I hate spineless people. If you're gonna say something SAY IT.

If you're saying something that's not nice, freakin' own up to it.

If you shouldn't be saying it in the first place? KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.

Of course, I "lol" from time to time. But as my house-guest has learned, when I write lol, I usually am.

<3 you