Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Day Off/Off Day



I've taken three days off now. The first day was spent doing chores that got neglected over the workshop weekend. The second day I had a meeting that lasted three hours in the middle of the day, and did grocery shopping. Last night I went to hear the wonderful author, Jill McCorkle, read from her new book.

Today I had intentions of revising a story I wrote last year. The revision has been boiling around in my head for a few days and I feel really excited about it. But when I got up, I had no energy. None. I went down to my writing space, looked over at the desk, turned to the card-making area, and walked back upstairs without doing anything productive. I got a book, wrapped myself in a blanket and tried to read. I ended up lying down, eyes wide open, body very still for about an hour.




After dragging myself up, I could tell that no creative work was going to be coming out of me today, so I worked on organizing my photographs on the computer. I have now spent close to six hours doing this. It feels good.





My photographs, my stories, and my card papers compete for my free time. I never feel torn, though, because working on each of them raises my seratonin and gives me a boost.


It's back to work tomorrow. I'm grateful for the time off.

No comments: