Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Leaps and Bounds



How do you handle things that challenge your confidence in your abilities?

Baby steps I can handle. Take a writing class, a photography class. Show my work to friends. Enlarge a few pictures, frame them, and hang them on the dining room wall. Send in a story or photo to a contest. Okay. I'm on it. But last month, two opportunities presented themselves that push my limits. And for all the confidence I've gained in the past three or four years, I'm very nervous about stepping up, stepping way up, to proceed.

I love to feel competent. I need to remind myself that there were times when I wasn't sure about starting things that I'm good at now. I have to remember that I'm fifty-seven years old (prime o' life) and that if I'm going to exit my comfort zone now's as good a time as any.

So, one step. Well, two steps. But giant steps this time. Mother, may I?

4 comments:

Elisa said...

Do it, Mamie! Take the leap!! You may think you're gonna crash and burn, but you'll either land on your feet or soar to places you've never been before. :)

trisha said...

You are not alone. Lean on others, if that is needed.

Mamie said...

Thanks, Elisa and Trisha, for your good words. I shall take them to heart.

MitMoi said...

Late to the party - but I agree - leap!