Wednesday, July 30, 2008
A New Friend
Last night I went to dinner with two friends. One of them brought her ex mother-in-law. We sat next to each other and during the meal, I found out the following things about her:
1. She was born in 1927.
2. She had five children in seven years.
3. She grew up in eastern North Carolina.
4. She went to East Carolina Teachers College.
5. She is one of three children.
6. Her husband and her middle child, a son, never had a great relationship.
All of the above things are true about my mother too.
This woman lives about a block from me. I'm looking forward to getting to know her better. Since my mom died when she was fifty-five, this feels like an opportunity to get a glimpse of what she might have been like at eighty-one.