Thursday, October 30, 2008

Whooooosh!

Whooosh is the sound of creativity moving through my veins again.

Horoscopes today say most of it:

"You're feeling pretty overwhelmed with good feelings about friends today. They are more helpful than ever and should be looking out for your best interests without your needing to ask."

And this:
"No one is perfect, and that includes you! So why are you holding yourself to such an impossibly high standard?"

Last night I surrounded myself with just about everything I've written in the past five years: free writes, memoir, short stories, journals. I was desperately looking for something to build on. But as at the Chinese food bar, everything looked okay but nothing was tempting.

A fellow writer suggested I write about a fifty-something woman who is having writer's block brought on by a taste of success. And that's exactly what I did. The character ends up writing about what she knows: a fifty-something woman with writer's block. It's not great literature, but it served as a mental laxative, Drano on the clogs in my brain. I woke up with a good idea how to proceed on something that's been brewing for a few days.

Whew! I'm glad that's over. And thanks to all of you who sent courage my way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had me at "mental laxative".

:o)

Mamie said...

Yeah, Allie, that says it all, doesn't it? Whatever it takes....

Janet Roper said...

Wow! That's a powerful image of surrounding yourself with everything you've written in the past five years. Hope you gave yourself credit for that and celebrated!

Today's photo is beautiful.
Harmony,
Janet