Sunday, February 15, 2009

Frustration!

Today, my husband's band played at church and I got some very good videos. One is of his band singing Stand By Me. I thought it would be cool to share their version with you.

Unfortunately, I was unable to upload it either to YouTube or to my blog. And so I will have to content myself with a still photo of the band. Small, very small, consolation.



On another note, I read a short short story of mine at an open mic at Quail Ridge Books today. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't quite what I think I was expecting! Mostly poets. There were a few underhanded compliments such as, "I wish I hadn't had to follow Jack!" and beyond that mostly polite applause. I felt as though each person came to hear themselves read, not listen to others. I don't think I'll participate in an open mic again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mamie!!!!!

I hope you're able to upload the video at some point. I'd love to see it!

As for the open mic night, I don't think you should give it up just yet. That was probably an isolated incident. They vary each night. Mic nights can be totally awesome and quite fulfilling. Don't let the self-absorbed naysayers keep you from going again.

:o)

Mamie said...

Allie, I hope I'm able to upload the dang thing too. I was going crazy yesterday trying to figure it out.

I've been thinking today about the open mic and what I gained from doing it. I may consider it again.

Gina Eaves said...

Mamie...I have always loved your writing. And I have good taste. So if the others perhaps did not enjoy it as I always do, that just proves that they have the most horrid, terrible taste. And I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy their poetry at all! :-)

Don't be hard on yourself! Love ya!