Sunday, March 22, 2009

Asta in the Wings

I may have just read my favorite book of 2009: Asta in the Wings, by Jan Elizabeth Watson. Nancy Olson of Quail Ridge Books has never let me down with a recommendation, and she was spot on with this one. I read all 300 pages in twenty-four hours, and that includes creeping through the last ten pages or so because I couldn't bear to say good-bye to Asta.

If you love to read and love good reading, and live in the Raleigh area, I highly recommend that you head down to Quail Ridge Books tomorrow night (Monday) and attend their book club bash. You'll hear about the best in (mostly) paperback reading and drink some really good wine. If you can't make the Monday night event, you can drink coffee and hear about the recommendations on Wednesday at 10 a.m.

Get that book, people. It's one of the finest debut novels I've ever read. And thanks to Tin House, a small publisher, for bringing such great reading to those of us who still care to learn about unknown but very talented writers. I can't wait for Watson to write something else.

2 comments:

Peggy Payne said...

I'm glad to know about this, Mamie, and also that it's from Tin House. A friend of mine just sent her novel there after being impressed with the work they're publishing.

Also, a couple of years ago I was teaching a class on publishing at a spa in Mexico, Rancho La Puerta, and when we went around the group doing introductions, one of the people introduced himself as the editor of Tin House. Obviously, it was a great thing to have him in the group. And I've had good feelings about that house since.

Must check out this new novel.

Mike Hein said...

Wow, what high praise, and I concur!

Jan had a reading at the Harvard Bookstore in Cambridge, MA last week, a reading at an independent bookstore in Farmington, Maine (just off campus from the University of Maine at Farmington) this past week, and a reading at the Cornerstone Bookstore today as part of the Salem (MA) Literary Festival.

While busy, I'll be sure to let her know of your comments, and thank you!