Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Weighty matters



I have never been a person who obsessed about her weight. Of course, up until about fifteen years ago, I was fairly thin. Even having to put on a bathing suit every summer didn't feel THAT bad. Lately too I've been able to say, as I stuffed another vegan almond cookie from Whole Foods in my mouth, "At least you're not smoking!"

But the other day something happened that made me run, not walk, to the computer and sign up for Weight Watchers.

My husband and I were at a local restaurant having lunch and we heard this woman say, "Hey, (husband's name)." We turned around and there was a girl from his hometown. The hottest girl in high school (not so hot any more if you ask me but that's not part of this story) and she looked at me and said, "Hey, um um um...."

Now I've been with my husband for thirty seven years. She knew me way back when. So my female brain immediately thought, She doesn't recognize me because I've gotten so fat!!! And then she told us that she was going to Italy with one of hubby's old high school girlfriends and I knew where that was going: the two of them on the flight over talking about how fat I've gotten. No frigging way. Well, frigging way, but never again!

So I'm counting points like all the rest of the weight watchers. And boy have I been surprised at the points in some of what I've been shoving into my mouth! I'm just about starving most of the day, but the fear of running into another girl from my husband's high school days has me gnawing on my knuckles, drinking black coffee, and eating puffed wheat cereal three times a day.

You never know where you might find inspiration, hmmmm?

1 comment:

kenju said...

There's nothing like someone from high school to give you that inspiration either.....LOL

Good luck. My mom once lost 80 lbs. with WW, and she said it was the only diet plan she could follow without starving to death.